Withington Golf Club was instituted in December 1892, following a meeting at Withington town hall. Play began in 1893 over 9 holes, on land previously used for grazing sheep and cattle. The Ladies section was established just two years later.

The first clubhouse was a wooden pavilion costing £25,but by 1895, members used a semi-detached house on Palatine Road. In 1897 the course was extended to 18 holes, and in 1898, a newly-built clubhouse was opened.

The construction of the M63 (now M60) in the early 1970s necessitated the re-designing of the course and relocation of the clubhouse to its present position.

Withington has always been one of the foremost golf clubs in the area. Over the years, it has hosted many prestigious competitions and matches at professional and amateur level - currently the Tamsel Tour holds a two day professional competition at Withington in the Spring. Open Champions who have played here include Henry Cotton, Bobby Locke, Harold Hilton, Alex Herd, George Duncan, Alf Perry, Alf Padgham, RA Whitcombe and Richard Burton.

Calendar
Loading the Calendar...
googleafc50a9204ad152a.html